Monday, November 2, 2015

Decorative Pillows on the Cheap

I recently slipcovered our couch and chair in the living room and wanted some new pillows to coordinate. However, I didn't want to pay $30 per pillow! I found this genius idea from Hilary at My So-Called Home on YouTube. I really love watching her channel because her home style is just so awesome. I made a little tutorial on how to make a pillow from a placemat. 

Materials:
placemat (I found mine at Target. Make sure they have a front and back piece of fabric.)
seam ripper
matching thread and needle
stuffing
scissors

Start by choosing where to rip the seam open. Make sure it is on the bottom of the pillow so your stitching will be hidden. Also, I chose to open it on the opposite side as the detail so it would be easier and less noticeable to stitch up.

                         

You'll only need to open a section of a few inches. Basically just wide enough so your hand will fit in there when you stuff it. 



Start stuffing! Add as much as you want to your desired firmness. Then start sewing it back up using a whipstitch.


Sew up the the pillow, adding more stuffing in the corner as needed.


Done! I love it and it cost a fraction of what a store-bought pillow would have. I made 4 pillows for the cost of 1. 



No comments:

Post a Comment